- Route number means any combination of numbers and letters that designate a bus route.
- Route number characters should be a minimum of 200mm high for the front and rear displays, and a minimum of 70mm high for a side display.
- A route number display must be capable of displaying at least 3 characters.
- Route numbers must contrast with the background and have a display that is capable of being illuminated.
- Destination means a word or words that describe a bus route or final destination.
- Destination information characters should be a minimum of 125mm high for the front display, and a minimum of 70mm high for a side display.
- Destination information must be written in a combination of upper and lower case characters and not all in capitals. The character heights specified above refer to the height of the initial capital letter that starts a destination.
- A destination information display must be capable of displaying at least 15 characters.
- Destination information must contrast with the background and have a display that is capable of being illuminated.
For further information please visit the DfT website page: - http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121107103953/http://dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/buses/pubs/psvar/accessibilityregulations20005993.html